JAMBI, HAVEN OF NATURE AND CULTURE
Jambi province is located on the east coast of Central Sumatra facing the Straits of Malacca and shares borders with four other provinces in Sumatra – Riau, West Sumatra, South Sumatra and Bengkulu. It stretches from the foothills of the majestic Bukit Barisan mountain range in West Sumatra to Bangka and Belitung Island in the east. About 60% of its total area of 53,435 sq km consists of forests, endowing the province with a large variety of fauna and flora and an exciting place for adventure lovers.
The province is a melting pot for different ethnic groups comprising Jambinese, Minangkabau, Javanese, Sundanese and descendants of India and Chinese. About 90% are Muslims and the remaining 10% are Christians, Hindus and Buddhists.
The city of Palembang is the gateway to the region.
The province is bordered in the north by Riau Province, west by West Sumatra, east by Berhala Strait and south by Bengkulu Province.
Temperatures vary between 23°C to 31°C and seldom reach 33°C, and is much cooler in the mountains.
PLACES TO GO, THINGS TO DO
Must visit attractions in Jambi City:
Museum Negri Jambi, about 5 km from the city is a treasure trove of artifacts from 7th century to 11th century AD, including traditional Jambinese houses and tools used by the tribes.
Museum Perjuangan Rakyat Jambi, located in the triangle of Sultan Taha road, Slamet Riyadi and Sultan Agung, is designed in the traditional Jambinese-style architecture. In the front yard of this museum is a Catalina, a type of aircraft used by the Indonesian army in World War 2.
Sanggar, about 9 km from the city and in the district of Pelayangan, is the place to buy the richly-designed batik (traditional hand woven cloth). The designs included in the collection are batik bunga melati, bunga tunjung, bunga kaca piring, bunga cengkeh, bunga durian, bunga keladi and bunga bertaburan.
Sungai (River) Batang Meringin
Located in Air Batu Village in the Sungai Manau district this 16 km-long river is perfect for rafting. The Indonesian Rafting Federation (Federasi Arung Jeram Indonesia – FAJI) has recommended this river as one of the rafting sport centre’s in Indonesia.
Goa (Cave) Sangering
Measuring about 450 meters this cave system has 10 other smaller caves and is the home of the rare Wallet bird. A favorite destination for spelunkers.
Known for its age-old rainforest the 2,720m Mount Masurai is located in Sungai Lalang Village, a seven-hour drive from Bangko town. Climbing this mountain is an exhilarating experience and climbers are rewarded with the breath-taking sight of two volcanic lakes on reaching the top. Along the way are various wild animals and plants.
Kompleks Candi Muaro Jambi (Temple Complex of Muaro Jambi)
This temple complex, built between 4th to 5th centuries AD, consists of several temples – Candi Astono, Candi Tinggi, Candi Gumpung, Candi Kembar Batu, Candi Gedong, Candi Kedaton and Candi Koto Mahligai. It is located in Muara Village in the district of Sekernan, about 25 km Jambi City.
Taman Nasional Bukit Tiga Puluh (Bukit Tiga Puluh National Park)
It was declared a national park in 1995 and covers an area of 1,270 sq kilometers. The park is rich in biodiversity and endemic animals. The area is also inhabited by the tribes of Talang Mamak, Suku (tribes) Kubu and Malay traditional farmers.
Air Terjun Tengan Kiri (Tengan Kiri Waterfall)
About 3 kilometers from Muaro Bungo Town in the district of Muaro Bungo, this natural waterfall is majestic with waters cascading down from the high hills. A perfect spot for picnics or just to admire nature’s beauty.
Taman Nasional Berbak (Berbak National Park)
This is the largest swamp forest conservation in South Asia and covers more than 150,000 sq ha. It has a rich biodiversity including some endemic animals.
Pulau (Island) Berhala
This small island, measuring about 1 sq km, is a must visit for bird lovers as it is the stopping point for migratory birds from other parts of the world every November. Its white sandy beach and stone beach also make it a great place for recreation.
Gunung Tujuh Lake
A volcanic lake about 1,996m above sea level, it measures 4.5 kilometers in length and 3 kilometers in width. The lake is fed by waters from the seven mountains surrounding it. This lake is located in the district of Gunung Kerinci, about 50 kilometers from Sungai Penuh town.
Penangkaran Buaya (Crocodile Conservation Centre)
Located on Kebun IX Village in the district of Jambi, it is about 48 kilometers from Jambi City. Local technology is used here to conserve crocodiles. Another must visit attraction.